What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

Built-in backups

Create a system for Joomla to manage site backups and restores. Explore the ability to also allow backup/restore for specific extensions or site sections.

1,804 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark DexterAdminMark Dexter (Admin, Joomla!) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

49 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CakiCaki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely unnecessary when we have Akeeba :-)

Staging or test site management should be priority No1. This feature will launch Joomla sky high

• boniadityaboniaditya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Akeeba rocks. Their documentation is perfect. I have used akeeba time and again to create my own joomla distros and distribute them to my friends along with the documentation to restore them. I don't see why joomla needs it to be in the core when you have such an awesome extension that works seamlessly with joomla.

• Alston ChapmanAlston Chapman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to say, I think Akeeba backup does it's job 100%, and it not only backs up sites but it also makes it easy as all get-out to transfer a site to a new host.

@Nicholas Dionysopoulos - your Akeeba is so good that I don't think this needs to be built into joomla at all. Thanks for creating it, and your tutorials are very concise and to the point.

• ValeryValery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thus a build-in backups would be one of the perfect things Joomla! needs.

• Nicholas DionysopoulosNicholas Dionysopoulos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, yeah, I am since 5 years ago. It's called Akeeba Backup Core, it's free of charge, works great and has over 1,000 five star reviews on the JED. Why it's not in the core? First it's the license (Joomla! is GPL v2 or later, mine is GPL v3 or later, if you distribute them together they both become GPL v3 or later, so GPLv2 extensions automatically become illegal - not a good idea). But the most important reason is that without user feedback and a short release cycle, a backup solution can never be considered "stable". This can not be achieved in the Joomla! core, but can be achieved by having Akeeba Backup Core as a separate project. Plus, nobody asked me to submit it as a proposed core feature :)

• WebdongleWebdongle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great if the free version of Akeeba was part of the standard Joomla install

• Nicholas DionysopoulosNicholas Dionysopoulos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@TWDesign All of the above already exist for Joomla!. It's called Akeeba Backup Professional and goes beyond what BackupBuddy could ever offer in WP. It does cost 40 Euros, but it's GPL. Since you're talking about contracts, just spend 40 Euros once per year and factor that cost into the price of all your contracts. With a few dimes per contract you have more than what WP and Drupal can offer for backups.

• TWDesignTWDesign commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something like the BackupBuddy extension for WordPress would be a dream.

We need the ability to :
        - Do full backups (including files)
        - Do just database backups
        - Schedule automatic backups
        - Choose where to send those backups (store locally / email / Amazon etc)
        - Provide a server & domain migration assistance tool to help moving development sites into a live production environment.

Drupals Backup & Migrate extension does some of these things but not all (doesnt have the full file backup options).

When Joomla can do all of that natively, you'll start to win over converts.

• Canada 3000Canada 3000 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea. Creating a core backup component would be amazing and developers can create the plugin or whatever other mechanisms buildt into the core joomla backup component to use. Like virtuemart, blog etc.

• Paul_BPaul_B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't for the life of understand why this feature was ever dropped - it was a core part of Manbo and early Joomla versions.

BRING IT BACK! (And back it up)

• Dan KnaussDan Knauss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure how you could do partial backups for specific extensions or "site sections" that would not cause problems when restored. Many extensions are not self-contained and refer to database tables beyond their own.

I agree that a backup system, while useful, should not be part of the core. Adding a simple way to export content, do an SQL dump, and file system zip would be OK though.

• Nicholas K. DionysopoulosNicholas K. Dionysopoulos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Christian, have you ever tried using Akeeba Backup? If not, please do. You will get a very good idea of what this feature should look like, if implemented.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base