What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

Automatic core updates

Build a system to automatically check for core updates and perform the updates according to settings and administrator input.

2,805 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark DexterAdminMark Dexter (Admin, Joomla!) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    SimonSimon shared a merged idea: One click core and extensions security updates  ·   · 
    BalaVivekBalaVivek shared a merged idea: Upgrading joomla  ·   · 
    Wings To SkyWings To Sky shared a merged idea: automatic core updates - one link for each page to avoid duplicated links  ·   · 
    Ade IskandarAde Iskandar shared a merged idea: auto update joomla core  ·   · 

130 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MicahMicah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Akeeba Tools already has this and it works amazing. And it is free. Why have Joomla reporogram something that exists and works well.

• JaybeeJaybee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Nicholas -- I have fopen() enabled and the 1.6.1 update is *not* found by the extension manager. Any other suggestions?

• Nicholas DionysopoulosNicholas Dionysopoulos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is already implemented in 1.6 and it does find updates - as long as you have URL fopen() wrappers enabled on your host. That said, the upgrade experience is a far cry from being called "optimal". The upgrade leaves the installation folder behind and you still need FTP access to remove that folder before you can use your site again.

• TeamracerTeamracer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My customers dont want to upgrade(migrate) every 12-18 months or so.
        For the moment I'm not working on Joomla sites because i have to give a 24 months warranty an my sites.

So this could be a milestone in Joomla-development.

• KaXaSAKaXaSA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree but it shouldn't really be 'automatic' it should at least ask if you want to update or not.

• MicahMicah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only thing I would say about this is, it would be good to either have a md5 sum check to make sure some customizations haven't been made to the core files, or/and have a system with check boxes that allow you to say you do or don't want this or that file updated (If not it would be nice to have it show the differences of the current to the new file).

• Daniel TulpDaniel Tulp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can be done easily with Akeeba admin tools or other 3rd party extensions
        And seems to be in 1.6 core
        Doesn't need my vote

Feedback and Knowledge Base