What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

Automatic core updates

Build a system to automatically check for core updates and perform the updates according to settings and administrator input.

2,805 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark DexterAdminMark Dexter (Admin, Joomla!) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    SimonSimon shared a merged idea: One click core and extensions security updates  ·   · 
    BalaVivekBalaVivek shared a merged idea: Upgrading joomla  ·   · 
    Wings To SkyWings To Sky shared a merged idea: automatic core updates - one link for each page to avoid duplicated links  ·   · 
    Ade IskandarAde Iskandar shared a merged idea: auto update joomla core  ·   · 

130 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • OceanwatcherOceanwatcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Moises A built in update function does not mean you will not be able to do a manual update. And a function like this can not be mandatory for everyone - there will have to be a configuration where you set if you want it or not. Also, I would not like it to be completely automatic. The level of WordPress and Akeeba Admin is perfect for me and a site admin should at least be comfortable enough with Joomla to do this.

This, together with automatic extension updates will be the biggest lift for security on Joomla ever. Just don't let it stop there. There is always something else that can be done!

• JOKR SolutionsJOKR Solutions commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also think Akeeba Admin (and Backup) is totally awesome. I Think many users use these extension (dah) but when it comes to more non-geeks and others, it´s important that Joomla can provide with auto-updates. There for i see it as a risk that some users don´t updates their sites meaning that their website is vulnerable.

In the long run this could be negative for Joomla, when these non-aware users spreading the word that "Joomla is not secure, my website got hack (dah nr 2)".

Joomla needs to protect the non-geeks - therefor we need this feature in the core.

• Moises Perez CabreraMoises Perez Cabrera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, but it's nice to update manually isn't?

The only downside will be that some misconfigurations may ocurr on some sites and will be a lot of support questions everywhere.

To avoid that updates should be ultratested before being released.

• OceanwatcherOceanwatcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Akeeba Backup and Akeeba Admin do the things we need. And I absolutely love what Nicholas is doing. But I agree that this really should be in core. But one thing is missing from this picture and I'll add it as a separate idea.

• alexwalkeralexwalker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To have a function which automatically first backups the site and then updates the latest version of joomla would be ideal. We already have this with Nicholas's brilliant Akeebabackup and AdminTools. I thought it was so important I was prepared and happy to make a donation to have the all-singing version for both components !

• David-AndrewDavid-Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is indeed a no-brainer. If we make it easier for users to upgrade they will upgrade more often, and Joomla! websites will become more secure as a result.

• chadwindnaglechadwindnagle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wordpress has it, Joomla should also. Would love to see this as core as it would really make managing updates a far easier task.

• Nicholas K. DionysopoulosNicholas K. Dionysopoulos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BTW, the code to perform automatic updates is GPL. You can use it freely and I'd be glad to help you integrate it, too. That's what the GPL is all about: co-operation and community interaction.

• jamfxjamfx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should also be a core feature! Like AkeebaAdminTools does!

1 2 3 4 5 7 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base