What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

Mobile Device Support

o Improve various interfaces to be more usable on mobile devices.
o Build and expand upon Web service availability for use in external applications and devices.

1,239 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark DexterAdminMark Dexter (Admin, Joomla!) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dang TranDang Tran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recently, I build a website, it is a responsive website, but there are some cases I want to put widgets in different positions between mobile and desktop. So there are two things about mobile I think that they are neccessary :
        - APIs to detect the device (I thnk we can base on the User Agent)
        - a module, we can seperate the position on mobile and desktop

It would be great when the developer can define different views for mobile and desktop

• rastranorastrano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes and we need also a builtin mobile device detection plugin like the one developed by MobileJoomla!

• Nicholas DionysopoulosNicholas Dionysopoulos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regarding the admin template, it depends on your definition of "mobile friendly". I have used Khepri and Bluestork on my iPad 2. Gorgeous and perfectly usable! On my old HTC Desire (Android) and iPhone 4S it is adequate to do basic management tasks. One notable thing is that in all cases it was nigh impossible to edit content, but that's an issue with mobile WebKit (used by mobile Safari and Android's web browser) not supporting WYSIWYG editing. I should not that I have already tried AdminPad and found it to be lacking when using components with more than 4-5 columns in admin lists – especially since the left sidebar can't be hidden in the way, for example, the official Facebook app hides it away from view.

So, as far as the administrator are is concerned, I consider the current templates to be adequate. The only major feature missing (WYSIWYG editor) is not something developers can work around. Moreover, if you want your administrator area to look like a native app, there are commercial templates to do it, with varying levels of success and usability.

• WebMuseWebMuse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The template system needs to be updated to auto-detect when the page is loaded by any of the smartphone browsers, then use a different set of templates instead. A 2-level approach for the templates is one idea. For the default page (and each set of pages also used), select the template used when viewed on:
        - computer
        - smartphone
        - smart-pad (android pad or i-pad)

The "computer" selection could even be expanded for different size monitors.

And, while there can be code within the template that says set the width of this area differently based on screen size, there are other considerations for smartphones, like wanting a page that shows only the menu links, etc. Nav on smartphones requires special handling.

Thanks! This gets my vote!

• TWDesignTWDesign commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see Joomla become the predominant CMS in the mobile space.

That would serve as a strong point of differentiation with WordPress and Drupal.

• Andrew HoldenAndrew Holden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Woot! Weever launches for Joomla! *first* on July 4th (which we're calling "Independence Day for Apps"). Stay tuned :)

• 7sites7sites commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Я считаю что нужно идти в ногу со временем. Сейчас всё чаще встаёт необходимость поддержки мобильных устройств, поэтому я за поддержку мобильных устройств.

• Andrew HoldenAndrew Holden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Guys - just a quick note to confirm that Weever's a few weeks away from BETA. We'll also be releasing a few free GPL sets of code for mobile-->Joomla! soon, which I thought would be relevant to the discussion here. We've made some improvements to device-detection.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base