What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

Content Versioning

o Build a system to support content versioning.
o Allow for compare and restore revisions.

1,404 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark DexterAdminMark Dexter (Admin, Joomla!) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    joomlabegginerjoomlabegginer shared a merged idea: I suggest that you ad an undo button to the Backend of Joomla that can step back up to 10 times  ·   · 

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many thanks to the core team for having this integrated in STS releases.
        Couldn't this feature/thread be marked as "DONE", or "CLOSED" ?
        It already has been spammed too much...

• JoshJosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried it when it first came out. It certainly has potential. Support is good. It has some rough edges but could be just what we need.

• Ramón Martins Sodoma da FonsecaRamón Martins Sodoma da Fonseca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would add a feature to this "versioning"
        o Allow to create automatic replacement content based on language
        o Allow to create automatic content replacement according to target audience (different "views" of the "same" content for managers (graphs), stakeholders (text + graphs), advisors (policies), reviewers (full text and data), people with disabilities(images, presentation, tabbed, navigated, narrated, video, for example). Something that can be partially done with ACL, but it's currently very cumbersome. There could be a content plugin within the content (as well as modules) so that the template renders different views of the content to different target audiences and languages.

• GeorgeGeorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FLEXIcontent CCK has this implemented and combined with publish permission and workflow

• Nicholas DionysopoulosNicholas Dionysopoulos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David, I read the whole thread and I only saw one person saying it shouldn't be implemented, one who said it shouldn't but what he described that should be included IS content versioning, 16 people saying it should be included (but maybe not enabled by default, for performance reasons) and you. So, can you please explain to me what made you deduce that Joomla! professionals argue against it or that Joomla! is for amateurs only? I see quite the contrary going on here. Are we reading the same comments?

• David Hedrick SkarjuneDavid Hedrick Skarjune commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hard to believe Joomla professionals argue against this--other systems scale just fine with version control. It's simply a requirement for ECM per the OASIS Content Management Interoperability Services (CMIS) standard. For practical reasons, it's needed for any editorial workflow. So, Joomla is for amateurs only?

• Ryan ScottRyan Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SO many websites with 50 or so pages don't need this, fair enough. But Joomla is also used on sites with over 2000 pages, with multiple authors, so, it would be great to see it one day in the core. Drupal, Wordpress, typo etc all have it. (Keep it backend ;)

• FredericFrederic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Versioning , such as workflow, must be part of the core of Joomla so that content, calendar, menu, module, Docman, etc, can use it, and that we have a single management interface.

• freshwebservicesfreshwebservices commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this wholeheartedly & it needs to be for front & backend usage. After all, this is available for Wordpress by default & is also available for Drupal.

Local govt clients usually demand this (for audit purposes & cause they're scared of cocking things up!) & altho there are VC components, they currently tend not to work on the front end.

• OldMoldyOldMoldy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe that an ability to track changes in an article is vital. I suggest that content management tools should emphasize the ability to trace what happens from one point of stability (restore point) to another.

We need author as well as date/timestamp of changes combined with an ability to restore a particular version (restore point) as well as an ability to purge all versions from one restore point to another. Some form or automated retention management for older restore points would be a "nice to have" but not as vital.

• Randy CareyRandy Carey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While most of my clients do not require content versioning, when it is needed, it is embarrassing to admit the CMS does not have it. A commercial-grade CMS really should have versioning. This is truly a feature that should be available to be turned on where it is needed.

• tudingtuding commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not support this idea,it's not necessary for everyone.
        Redundant database is sometimes a disturbing air.

• kacrajkacraj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suppose, content versioning for articles is a must, since Joomla is a CMS.

• Stefan | dpdkStefan | dpdk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Dan Knauss; That's why Joomla! will be fast in it's Core condition, but with every addition - based on end-user functionality requests - the system gets bigger and also slower.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base