What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

Content Versioning

o Build a system to support content versioning.
o Allow for compare and restore revisions.

1,404 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark DexterAdminMark Dexter (Admin, Joomla!) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    joomlabegginerjoomlabegginer shared a merged idea: I suggest that you ad an undo button to the Backend of Joomla that can step back up to 10 times  ·   · 

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dan KnaussDan Knauss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it doesn't need to be on by default, but this is just something that should exist in the core.

• Damyan MirchevDamyan Mirchev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Content versioning is not recommended to be included in the core.
        90% of the websites (that have up to 50-100 pages) will never need a content versioning platform built in.
        A content versioning platform will only hinder and add additional complexity for the majority of users that use the Joomla platform.
        That is why we should avoid a content versioning built into the Joomla core. This should only be implemented as a separate component.
        Hope this comment gets to the person who decides what will be included in the next versions.
        If I were able to I would vote against it.

One more thing - don't vote like sheep - think through whether a specific functionality will be needed for the majority for users or only for a tiny minority. Don't be selfish when you want features!!!

• Stefan | dpdkStefan | dpdk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@CraZy675; About the Core component com_content; They will recieve all my votes if they would completely refactor the whole - outdated - component and data structure!

First, look what's in the name com_CONTENT; With such a name for a Core component, it should provide THE uniform solution of data storage in Joomla! Not only for it's own basic content (Types), but for all component who need to store "sets of data".

No matter what type of data it would be. In it's Basic form, it should always be simplified to a content-item (just like a Node in Drupal).

Com_content in it's current form is 100% static data input. In a way, com_content is just the same like all the other - non CCK like - component, who are storing their own sets of data within their self sufficient data structures.

Back to the subject; Besides all the data-input variations in which this com_content component can be extended with. The functionality of Content Versioning would be a different extension of the com_content component than it's content-elements.

In a way it will be a relational copy of the same com_content storage-table. Having only a relational band with the basic com_content item, it can rely on the same resources (content-elements) of the "Primairy" content-item.

(Looking at this, the extension of com_content with the ability of "Translations" would be of the same setup as versioning. Based only on relationship, and not the complete copy of the data structure.)

• CraZy675CraZy675 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! com_content is part of the core. This must be included with com_content and not a third party. 99% of these other requests can (and already have) been solved by third parties.

I'd like to encourage everyone to vote for this feature.

I also recall a google summer of code project about this as well as a few blog postings around the net.

• Stefan | dpdkStefan | dpdk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With such a functionality to be added/turned on to sertain part of the content, it would the first real Native Joomla! Wiki attempt in history.

For now - when clients asked for a Wiki - you just wouldn't do that within Joomla!, you would probably go for an external solution.

• HidabeHidabe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I remember one Google Summer Code Project about it... in progress, where is it?

• k0nank0nan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

having a content update history - like last saved at, last edited by, published at, unpubslihed by - would be better. than for sure someone could extend this functionality with content versioning and content revisioning

← Previous 1 2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base