What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

New or Overhauled Admin Interface

As Joomla and community extensions have grown and matured over the last 5 years, the admin UI needs to allow for the way the workflow and features have changed.

318 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kyle LedbetterKyle Ledbetter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CharlesCharles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doing Usability tests with 1st time joomla users is best the answer to improving joomla UI.

• Al BoulleyAl Boulley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While Nexus seems interesting, it's been 3/4 of a year since any subsequent discussion about it on this page. I would think Joomla better served by core admin overhaul as opposed to layering on a component. Node-0, I understand how complicated such development can be, so please don't take this comment the wrong way. I hope in the time since July 2011 you have made progress that you are yet to inform us of.

• callum rextercallum rexter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all, although it is mostly a graphical change I recommend checking out rockettheme's mission control admin template - its free, supports 1.5 and 1.6. Has some nice features

• Node-0Node-0 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll be publishing an official introduction to Nexus as well as launching a forum discussion about it in the next week. At that point, I'll cross post the project along with a YouTube video of the current Nexus interface.

Hi Blue, I don't mean to sound flippant towards your comment, however I must say that the reason I'm even creating Nexus isn't to make money, some of it will be GPL'd the reason is to stop this infernal squabbling about "Please do X better because I can't scratch my giraffe's back with features Y, Z and W" Um... No. Local storage doesn't mean much to a userbase that doesn't even have a visual editing interface yet. Local storage is a nice buzzword that people like to use to bolster the notion of "offline editing".
        I live in Los Angeles, and I wouldn't dream of using even an iPad to use Joomla. Tablets can't do drag and drop, and forget about easy access to content uploading from a tablet (IOS or Android), because we considered a native app. Netbook? Sure those work fine, but local storage in Joomlaland circa 2011 is a feature looking for a userbase. Most user's of Joomla use it with an internet connection, not off in the hills whilst roaming the countryside, I should know, I hike in those hills. Now content versioning is good, and necessary, digital "paper tapes" which record editing histories and allow "stepping back in time" are needed for a mature system like Joomla. These features are however.... Tiny, tiny, specks of necessity when compared to the necessity of viscerally connecting the content creator and admin laypeople to the RESULT of their button pressing and knob twiddling.
        That's priority numero uno! Priority numero dos is a solid drag and drop uploader utilizing HTML 5, but even that is relatively useless without a powerful media management strategy involving deep support of the core content/interaction types/modes (Photo, Video, Music, Document(s), Downloads) and Nexus will have a carefully designed strategy which integrates all of these facets. So compared to these needs, an "offline mode" is really quite off the mark (not the same as caching for performance). I'll be spending what limited attention I have on the core challenges. If an "offline mode" is critically important to you, I suggest doing some research on the technological dynamics of local storage database schemas and their relation to content management system data exchange and performance/behavior dynamics. It's a solid 2 month endeavor.

So the initial phase of Nexus will be all about the hand-eye coordination magic of drag and drop and automated decision trees and prompt based wizards along with automated "sanity checks, and convenience checks". These are all things that the corporate world has provided to it's customers for so long that people have forgotten that it takes a designer to figure out interaction dynamics, and a dev team to solve the tech hurdles involved in implementation of these "Don't make me think, just do the work for me" features.

What I, Joe H, the resident insomniac at Node-0 am focused on is: 1.) Making day to day work for normal people using Joomla easy and effortless. 2.) Making it very easy to experiment with site setup and layout without painful configuration tangles. 3.) Determining what the essential data processing processes are for laypeople and for administrators (which I consider analogous to "Laypeople++", which should be taken as a compliment, sort of...) and to then make it easy (I mean really really easy) for the aforementioned group to be able to access content and/or config-data and manipulate the CMS using plain-english logical statements from a console of sorts.

• blueblue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also pay atetntion to implementing HTML5 Local Storage in backend for a better and faster website administration.

Here's another tidbit: Nexus will allow all the current Joomla admins to continue using their comfortable workflows, whilst the majority of new users can simply ignore the current admin and go straight into the Nexus component for their content creation and editing work. Think "live updates of all edits", Think "Drag and Drop reordering of Articles, Modules and Menu Items in-page-view mode", If that wasn't enough, Think "Drag and Drop widget pallet (modules or other configurable tasks)". There's more of course, much more but it wouldn't be any fun to give away the plot :-)

Um, yeah, the answer is called Nexus and you'll be glad to know that there is one crazy architect and 2 demented programmers hard at work making a back-end interface for Joomla, reminiscent of iWeb. He he he.... Wordpress? LOL, yeah, nuff' said... Maybe we'll have a release ready by the end of summer... ;-)

• GregLiveBrandGregLiveBrand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Take a page from Wordpress, but go even further toward making it user-friendly, and watch the migration. With the way the social web is moving, websites need to be able to experiment quickly. The ability to do A/B testing, create unique landing pages and modify aspects of inbound marketing is a competitive advantage. Clients need to be able to do this without a steep learning curve. If someone can build a user-friendly admin for Joomla! that blows away Wordpress, the digital world will beat a path to your door.

• stuart malcolmstuart malcolm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The admin interface *really* could do with being made page-centric. The answer to the question "how do I add a new page to the site?" (Which is the first thing a new admin asks) SHOULD be:

Go to the page manager and click New.

Not the current trip through content manager, menu manager then module manager!

• k4lchk4lch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

let users customize the most used functions the way they want it setup

• CraZy675CraZy675 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you don't like the admin template, overhaul it yourself. Personally I like the admin, it's super easy to change and when your bringing in content writers they are already familiar with the admin. Perfecting the admin would be great, but a complete overhaul is a waste of time and a risk of making it worse.

• Eric DorieanEric Doriean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A tree view on the admin front page is required. Many cms's like http://www.silverstripe.com/ do it very well. Content articles, modules and components all connected on a single tree view. Not replacing existing functionality, just creating a new way of accessing it, so that users find it easy to manage their site once being built by an integrator.

• stushevstushev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sure, modern admin UI is not very convenient. Other CMS, not as powerful as Joomla, have much more better interface.

What they obviously should add in new UI:
        1) AJAX. Everywhere where possible. Better if it would be like in Ruby on Rails - AJAX when available, usual forms\reload when it's unavailable
        2) Sortable lists. There's 2010 now, why we should still order items by entering numbers manually?

As well I suggest:
        1) Visual module manager - that allows to put and sort modules inside the template
        2) More customization. A possiblity, for instance, to choose whether to show certain blocks, olr not, and where to show them.
        3) Session time left counter. There' currently graet extension named Session Meter, but I think it's functionality must be included into standart bundle. I'm tired of doing something and having "Please log in again" instead.
        4) Search. Global, on all kind of items available for administrations
        5) Mobile admin template included into standard version

• KaiKai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree not to completely change the UI, but why not add drag and drop functionality (like module manager), a graphical view (with drag and drop) of modulepositions and better UI (remove all settings that is not nescessary - or even have own settings which settings to be visible for each user/client/group)

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. It needs AJAX for APPLY button, for example. Look at Wordpress admin. It's almost perfect. May be it can be integrated with JED for searching c/p/m. Just an idea.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base