What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

Built in Forms Component

A built in forms component will be very useful and would increase more possibilities by integrating in to the core

3,092 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bhargav TejaBhargav Teja shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

87 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great proposal!
        It would make work with Joomla easier.
        And without additional modules. Please do it as soon as possible.

• shouldersshoulders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there is a free solution to forms that i have discovered and because it is so good and easy to use i don't think it needs to be part of the core.

My main reason i wanted it part of the core was, i wanted an easy contact form. I did not need anything overcomplicated and i did not want to got through the hassle of linking to a joomla user (lazy i know). Most website contact forms have only the following field; name/email/subject/message but occasionally i wanted to add an additional filed like 'telephone number'. The options out there were either paid/overcomplicated/non configurable modules.

Then i found Joomlashine uniform (free and) does everything. module/page/plugin. you can have up to 3 forms of the free version. So i would check this out.

• Mark SimkoMark Simko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just buy one of the commercial ones. You encourage development by forking over a few bucks for them, and you can choose the one you like.

• Samuel MehrbrodtSamuel Mehrbrodt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone.
        This issue is a big deal for me, so I'm willing to pay USD 20.00 for it.
        This offer is registered on FreedomSponsors: http://www.freedomsponsors.org/core/issue/373/built-in-form-component-for-joomla
        If you solve it (according to the acceptance criteria described there), please register on FreedomSponsors and mark it as resolved there
        I'll then check it out and gladly pay up!

Oh, and if anyone else also wants throw in a few bucks on this, you should check out FreedomSponsors!

One of the best example of form component for a CMS i've come across after very long time is the Webform module in DRUPAL.

Right now there is almost none such form component for joomla. For a non-tech component such as Drupal webform is a huge time saver.

• Ruben ReyesRuben Reyes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think this needs to be part of the core. There are several excellent forms components out there. For instance we have been using RS Forms Pro for years and we are very happy with it.

• Jitendra KhatriJitendra Khatri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can Use JoomlaXi Forms Which Provides ou many integrations.

For Using this you can use http://minikomi.github.io/Bootstrap-Form-Builder/ for building Forms and then Copy the html generated by form builder in the form of JoomlaXi Forms.

Create an Action and attach this on the Form. when the Form will be submitted from your site all control on submitted data is in your hand, now you can process it in any way which you want.

JoomlaXi Forms Team working

• Lukas GreblikasLukas Greblikas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But there is Contacts component already. With it you can create a form for contact. Does it not satisfy you?

• Michael ReiterMichael Reiter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A built in forms component would be very useful. Until now you always have to hope the forms component you are using will we updated to the next version of joomla , you have to wait months until it is updated or you see it won't. This means a lot of time lost because you maybe have to migrate by hand or can't migrate your code and have to rewrite it.

• boniadityaboniaditya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a native components as versatile as Chrono Forms. Front End Editing with the default editor is not as impressive as it might look. The problem that i am currently trying to solve is to create a form for users to collect the data and then the data is formatted using custom styles and inserted into the article.
        The end user does not have to format the article, just have to fill the form and the article is created.
        I could create this with SEBLOD, to some extent using Chronoforms and Form2Content. I would like to see a built in forms component into the core so that the documentation is perfect and this would reduce conflicts with other extensions. Usually when one extension becomes really important, it forces the administrator to shun all the extensions incompatible with it.
        Unless the extension is implemented in the core this cannot be avoided!

Build Seblod as the applications extension framework within Joomla.. and use Bootstrap extensions to fulfill the function of CK.

Joomla must grow more as an applications/database tool, or it will become irrelevant over the next ten years imo. The CK should be as an extension to the frameworks that are commonly adopted in the ICT mobile environment, namely using Bootstrap because this appears to be the direction a bulk of the environment is going/accepting and extending across platforms, OS, and CMS systems.
        Use of multiple CK breaks rather than fixes the purpose of Joomla as the common web-mobile-anywhere dev platform,

Seblod is well thought out as tool to build applications that can work within the core and Bootstrap/responsive environment that is needed in order to expose the power of the underlying database and web/mobile environment consistently.

Joomla CKs are becoming fractured and driven in different directions by template providers that also threaten to drive incompatible implementations of frameworks, Joomla remains short of its promise because it still has the impacts of a nearly broken base of developers.

Come together on core frameworks like Bootstrap and push CK on top. Add with ratings as to how much it modifies the core and is able to be removed without causing the content or core to break.

Joomla is at a cross roads of building on a great foundation or becoming unmanageable.

• Alonzo TurnerAlonzo Turner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is a link to a 2.5 compatible component that uses the admin interface to build xml files and then uses JForm to load the xml. It is very rough at this stage, but it should function as a good proof of concept. Data collected in the forms can be downloaded in CSV format.

https://github.com/subtext/com_forms

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see forms, but I would need some math capabilities to the forms, and ways to exploit the relational database options of mySQL.

• FedikFedik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

think, this suggestion will solved automatically after implement "A native Content Construction Kit" in core ;)

• ShaneShane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be really good, I often use RS Forms which is pretty good but the thought of having forms built in would be perfect!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for Forms. It is very much important for me. cause I need to collect specific information from user, so I'm looking for forms from begging. Now I satisfy.

• MarinaMarina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd really like to see CKForms built into the core... In admin you can have create mutiple forms (simple contact / newsletter subscribe), all types of fields can be added (select, checkboxes (limited), radio, simple text input / password ect). There's also optional captcha and the CSS is pretty easy to figure out...

Best of all... it emails the owner, can send an autoresponder to the user and it SAVES the users inputted data to a database.... I use it ALL the time in 1.5 (no dev yet for 1.6/1.7)

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base