What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

Built in Forms Component

A built in forms component will be very useful and would increase more possibilities by integrating in to the core

3,057 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bhargav TejaBhargav Teja shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

86 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EricEric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A built in form component would be a big mistake.
        First non built in form component has all the opportunities of the established form components. Chronoforms is verstatile and ideal for designers, Proforms is unbeatable in usability, Breezingforms is ideal for building apps and RSForms Pro is a well established. Any of these components is larger than 1 MB. They all have many extensions (Plugins and Modules). All of them are developed over years.
        A built in form couldn't do all of that stuff. It would help for creating small forms but everybody who would need a little more than this would use one of these extensions again.
        A built in form component is useless!

• JosepeJosepe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If we want forms, then will need MySQL database manager build-in.
        But almost can not need this features, then will necesary a customizable setup (installation) option, because Joomla dont convert in a big-elephant.

• Duane HamannDuane Hamann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a good point. An easy to use form component as part of the installation, one less half open door to worry about..,.

• joyjoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ไม่รู้ว่าทำไงติตตั้งไม่ได้เลยช่วยด้วยคับ ใครทำได้บ้าง

• NeilNeil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a good idea as almost every website requires a form and some of the third party plugins can be tricky to use for people without much coding knowledge. The form creator should be simple and have plenty of options for field types without limits etc.

To ease the pain of users who would like to continue using third party plugins there should be an option to disable the form generator and use a plugin instead. Everyone is happy now :)

• CraZy675CraZy675 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely not in the core. Keep this 3rd party (some of us know what we are doing and can't handle the bloat).

• RajabNatshahRajabNatshah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I Can help in this We have Developed this For Joomla. I like to give it out if Joomla Want to have in Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 1.6 and Joomla 1.7 .. It's very Important to have the bases >>

http://www.smartneural.com
        Application Manager

This component helps you in adding any number of Application Forms that you may want for users and visitors in your website . It facilitates easier operation for users and visitors in supplementing application forms. The administrator views list of application forms at the Back-End , with the choice to download as PDF files or print them. Each application form has got a reference number.The administrator is offered a choice to add new fields, edit, re-arrange the order of the fields in the application form, view or change the style. The component can add some type of validation.

• Matthew SchenkerMatthew Schenker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bhargav,
        I agree that forms are crucial to site development. However, I don't want it in the core.

Why? Because we all want different things from forms. If it's built into the core, it may or may not satisfy everyone's needs and many of us will install another one on top of it. If this attitude spreads, we end up with a bloated core installation and lots of duplicate components -- and Joomla starts to become unwieldy.

I think -- generally -- we should differentiate between...
        1. Functions that are simple enough that everyone would want them (notification of updates, for example)
        And
        2. Functions where there is a need for user choice (that's what the Extension Directory is for)

• Ted MasonTed Mason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes Stefan, and that's why I would prefer a data warehouse integrated into the api. Any extension developer could register submitted data into that data warehouse and any other extension could consume the data.

Then let 3rd party developers create innovative extensions around this data warehouse.

• Stefan | dpdkStefan | dpdk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Forms are for me an extension to the CCK, like front-end submission with the ZOO CCK component.
        They are just another View-output of the same content type instance.

A Form in general is easy to make (with all available extensions). But I need something more from my data. I need to work with the data to make it of some value. Not collecting it myself by email, but let other extension use it, to generate it into valuable data to work with.

Example:
        You could even see this data as an anounymous user-account. An account with a relationship to a form (just like the relationship to the contacts-component data).
        This transparent account could be authenticated through a identifier like the emailaddress. When this connection/authentication has been made, my data has suddenly become a lot more valueble!!

How long did Joomla! 1.6 take? 2 years? Sorry, but when the Joomla! project is implementing features just like that, these features need to be upgraded and managed as well. How long will we then have to wait for Joomla! 2.0? Another 4 years?

Joomla! always has been an easy to use CMS that may be extended by 3rd party extensions. You completely change Joomla!'s purpose and strength by that.

Why doesn't the Joomla! team ask for where the project should go (in meaning of a vision) _before_ asking for features? I don't get it, now it looks like there is no vision, just implementing features into the core. Quite disappointing.

• sohailsohail commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I agree build in Forms Component will be very use full. because it needs almost in every website.

• Holger HilbertHolger Hilbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree with everybody who is against a built in form extension.
        I guess it blow up Joomla with 1-2 mb. This is no go. And if the built in form component doesn't meets the criteria of users they will still install additonal form components. This could cause conflicts. A form component isn't a core function and should always be a 3rd party extension.

@coder4life:

I agree, sharing collected form data, across multiple extensions is a good idea, but a built-in forms component would bloat joomla like a balloon.

Even if you want the least functionality necessary you will have a pretty complex application. The time to maintain it should rather be used for more important stuff. Joomla will definetly loose its focus if things like that making it to the core.

I would suggest something like this on api level. Any extension developer could publish collected form data into something like an internal and transparent data warehouse. I am pretty sure that would really help everybody.

• coder4lifecoder4life commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know we are doing something like this already, but it is not so clear to the administrator "front-end" like menus are. Which I believe is where this suggestion is focused.

• coder4lifecoder4life commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well this is core oriented in my perspective. Sure there are some great extensions that can provide this functionality, but that does not guarantee they will be supported or maintained. Plus there are so many different form extensions, that other developers would rather create their own form system for their extension. What Joomla! should be doing is utilizing a unified form administration component that can be utilized across extensions. Just like some extensions developers are generating menus, we should allow the generation of forms. This will prevent duplicate uses of forms that contain the same information used in another extension. For example one extension carries profile information that another extension can utilize.

• Ian ShereIan Shere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with Josh here. I'm very surprised at the number of votes for it actually. Did none of them check JED for some top class form components? There are some awesome free ones there.

Let's not clutter the core with more than it needs to run a basic site, and add extras as, and when, needed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base