What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

assign multiple categories to article

1,409 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    lcdserviceslcdservices shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Peter Wardley-RepenPeter Wardley-Repen shared a merged idea: Allow articles to be in multiple categories  ·   · 
    SergeySergey shared a merged idea: multicategory  ·   · 
    BoraBora shared a merged idea: Multiple categories  ·   · 

89 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Full steps demo for Database driven joomla 3.2 modules including display of data
        on joomla site

So we need to be sure.
        Multi categories'll never be developped ?
        And we need to use TAGs to made "multi-categories" ?

Is that right ?

• nibranibra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@TeaConcept: I see no practical difference between multi-categories and tags. You obviously do. Please fell free to enlighten me (PM please).

• GarstudGarstud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the question is not: "Is Tags equals multi-category"
        But yes, you're right, multi-category is not being developed - and not because of its number of votes (it's just a number of wishes;)) - but because it is of a big change in the structure of Joomla that requires UCM or something like that. (?)
        Anyway, at one point, it was possible to add the function of Tags in J! 3.1, this is awesome! ... and something more, is that this new cool feature will open a door to add other classification functions in the near future (multi-categories maybe ?).
        Now, try a look at the tags, and you will see that it can help you to use other methods than just categorization classification (note: some recent Web applications have completely abandoned the classification categories, as it is considered too low)

• TeaConceptTeaConcept commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Assign multiple categories to article is completed. Where ? I just see tag, not really multi-category.

@ Mark Dexter : for you, tag is equal to multi-category ?

• pdipdi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes we know that we can build a menu with tag. ANd Of course we already test it with 3.1 version.
        But we are profesionnal, and work with LTS version. Next is 3.5.

And again, please read carrefull, we want multi-categories and no tag.
        We hope this functionnality'll be present in the 3.5 version. But nobody know, and stupid people put this thread to "completed". We can believe it!

• Mike MeservyMike Meservy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can I build a menu based on tags? I can with categories so u have not accomplished this until u can bild a menu based on tags

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello
        Yes and no (tags are an another workaround I think).
        Because assign to multiple categories need to declare a default categorie and to have a rel canonical for this choice. To avoid duplicate contents for SEO.

yes, thank to Mark Dexter to close this great idea, which is not completed !

Et voilà, "completed".

We want a reaction, and what is happening ?
        This idea is closed now.

So the only solution is the reopen more than 10000 articles, and put tags. rebuild al the menus, etc...

Thank Joomla admin for this stupid idea :-(

Multi-categories is not Tag !

• GarstudGarstud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Nibra, modern classification (and taxonomy) is not only categories !
        Tags are a good solution to have a powerful multi-classification of your contents.

Now for the number of votes, you have to know that it permits to order the wishes from the community, that's pretty good ! but Joomla also needs developers to code our wishes :) ("OpenSource matters") and it seems that the actual strategy about UCM is in the right way to multi-catégory, but we need to wait a little more ;)
        ... so uses Tags now, this will help you for sure.

• nibranibra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me repeat for those, who don't read the lower part of the page:
        Tags *are* multi-assignable categories. You just have to build your menu system on tags instead of categories.
        The usual categories are like directories/folders in your file system.

"Content Versionning" have 1380 votes (and it is in joomla 3.2)

"assign multiple categories" to article have 14090 votes, and no news.

So What is happening here ?

"What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?" is a really good joke :-(

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base