What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

Advanced Membership System

I think that should be an advanced membership system.

1,025 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ugur UygurUgur Uygur shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Paras ParmarParas Parmar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My two bits here. Chris Conductor said it well "... CivicCRM"
        The CRM is excellent and takes care of all aspects of Non - Commercial Customer relationship management including but not limited to donations, grants, cases, projects and qualitative as well as quantitative interactions between "constituents".
        A moderate learning curve, easy setup and user friendliness are it's main features.
        Don't make the mistake of thinking that just because it's non - commercial you cannot use it for your own commercial ventures. I have a few projects in the pipeline for this and drupal.

Love these guys.
        Paras

• recondorecondo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be happy if it would just let me set experasion dates so from the date of setup said account will be active for so many days. Then so many days before the account becomes inactive it sent out an email to the member with a link that I could populate so my members could make a payment. Sometime less is more!

• Node-0Node-0 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems a bit reaching, not really a core feature. The problem with membership management in an OSS project is that it deals with commerce
        and such a tool simply shouldn't be free of charge, because commerce revs faster than open source projects and thus the maintenance on this sort of system would exceed the core. If this system were free of charge, it would quickly monopolize the project's resources while slowing other needed dev to a halt. Just look at Virtuemart, it was totally free, nobody contributed resources to it's development and it was a horrible failure. There's no such thing as a free lunch in business. There are plenty of good membership management systems out there and they are not expensive at all.

• billyraybillyray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everything here, one simple thing I would like to see in the user profile is a field added for "company name", this would add much more flexibility for directories and business membership by adding a company group.

• RonRon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

very nice idea. I believe joomla needs this one so that we could get more extension easier. If there is only one membership system. all extension will be compatible to it.

• Rafael CorralRafael Corral commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think it is necessary to put in a membership component into the core, but I do think that Joomla needs more plugin triggers to allow developers to extend all aspects of Joomla. This way components like community builder can just build on top of the joomla users table and not on their own separate tables, this way this data would always be available to any other component.

• Shane ThorpeShane Thorpe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea. A central repositry for aqll emmberships and integrated in the core. Any 3rd party extras can still be used if required so its a simple no brainer for me.

• RobRob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Different access levels would be great to make it possible to show some articles, menu's and modules. It should be depending on the access group.

• AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea, the joomla membership system is pretty weak. But instead of developing something proprietary, develop an API for this... so people can take advantage of things like Facebook connect or OpenID.

• AJAJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A better member system is definitely needed but to be able to add custom fields to it is one thing it would need...adding the ability to accept terms of site would be important as well.

• tevyetevye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Power in simplicity" but, "Tender point always to closes by the others". As far as possible, we want to makes originally emblements of Joomla band.

• Thomas KamppThomas Kampp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A large profile system should always be an extension if Joomla should keep the slogan "power in simplicity". Joomla core is about making extensions possible by others and keeping the core fast (for everyone and not just sites with users). Where would it end - when all extensions from JED are build in?

I agree that some kind of membership subscription and auto-expire system could be interesting, but I still don't see how that can be a core feature.

• AHerchis WebDesignAHerchis WebDesign commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In that way it will also become more professionell. So registerated users can see different content and it depense on their level...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base