What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

Search for and install new (JED) extensions from the backend (Administrator)

Make it possible to search for new extensions in JED and install selected extension from the backend of a website (WordPress like)

230 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    GerlofGerlof shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Rodolfo SabillonRodolfo Sabillon shared a merged idea: The user can search for any plugins and components in the Panel Area  ·   · 

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ashish PatelAshish Patel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@herb200mph, those good extension which are not listed on JED come to attention far less often, usually after wasting a lot of time with poorly supported extension, just because they are free.

just forgive, this comment is not for free and excellently supported extensions

• Ashish PatelAshish Patel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this feature should be combined with a central repository of extension managed by joomla so that potentially unsafe or outdated extension be controlled at the very initial encounter.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's no reason a closer integration couldn't be quite easily implemented. If the JED had a button saying "Install" it need only create an AJAX request (containing a direct-download URL) to the users defined site (perhaps store the URL and an auth token in the users profile). A slight change to the framework would handle this request and process the install.

You could leave things client-side (such as the site URL and an auth token) rather than having everyone store in their JED profiles. A greasemonkey script could easily be written to autocomplete.

Browsing the JED and installing from the back-end could then easily (and slightly messily) be achieved using frames.

• Ironclad360Ironclad360 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Kevin - I am with you! I would be willing to pay a subscription for access to a JED that only contained extensions which had been through a code review/approval process by a group/panel of core Joomla developers. This would ensure that extensions developers were following the mvc and (hopefully) eliminate security risks associated/caused by poorly coded extensions.
        The money spent for the subscription would be far less than the hours I've spent re-coded/reviewing extensions for client sites.

• ccondrupccondrup commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have no need for browsing JED from within the Joomla backend, but I would like to see JED present an url for every extension that could be copied into the "Install from URL"-field in ext.manager. Finding updates for existing extensions is also useful, and this is already partly in place in 1.7

• KevinKevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As long as this is not forced on us by Joomla I say press ahead. I see this as a sure fire way to destroy a client or non knowing web designer's website when they don't have the first clue of what they are doing let alone what they are installing.

I have a better idea, how about we pay JED to filter the extensions that are on their right now and remove the ones that are bogus, not well supported and continually issued reports that their extension is unsafe? The old saying that just because you can does not mean you should rings clear with this idea to me.

• dJeedJee.netdJeedJee.net commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@TWDesign according ti Sander Pjotter the JED has no API. Think that's required for developing this idea.

• TWDesignTWDesign commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The way WordPress organises plugins and themes and allows admins to search and install without ever leaving the backend is absolutely brilliant.

If WordPress can do it, why not Joomla?

• 2020media2020media commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For commercial extensions, make them pay a percentage to Joomla, like the Apple/Android App store. Would help smaller developers who don't want to run a billing system too.

• herb200mphherb200mph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why bother with that? Joomla extensions that are commercial can't be accessed that way. And, my suspicion is that there are not going to be alot of free Joomla extensions due to the far-out requirements Open Source Matters has placed on them. So most "good" extensions are going to be privately sold and not listed or advertised on the JED.

• Bhaskar BanerjeeBhaskar Banerjee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a great idea. This will make installation faster and easier. But this option should be restricted to admin/super admin

• Thomas KamppThomas Kampp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would confuse the hell out of most end users with out experience and technical knowledge. I also think of customers here. Also it raises a HUGE issue with validating the extensions security, as you suddenly can distribute virus, back doors and a lot more very easy and fast.
        Who would/should look through all extensions?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base