What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

jQuery / MooTools - can select between (as option in the backend).

820 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    WIM NORDERWIM NORDER shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

50 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FedikFedik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

option in the back-end - it bad idea ... think better will be if joomla! will load the js framework depending on what for a extensions/templates

• ssbssb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you're on the right trck yes, although what is REALLY needed for joomla is a way of setting all jquery / mootools locations, like directing all the files to google's jquery online repository. joomla needs a solution for multiple jquery instances which creates most of the display issues and errors in joomla if you've got multiple modules/plugins that uses jquery and mootools..

• mortimermortimer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

La mayoría de extensiones usan Jquery... esto genera problemas de rendimiento al cargar 2 librerías y genera conflictos de JS. Esto es algo que se debería solucionar, creo que lo lógico sería usar el framework prerido por los desarrolladores...

• Rouven WeßlingAdminRouven Weßling (Admin, Joomla!) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Konstantinos, I think you're describing the Joomla 1.5 situation. Joomla 2.5 ships with the newest MooTools version (1.4) and the update to 1.4.5 is in 2.5.4. The version we ship is backwards compatible all the way back to 1.2.

Loading two different MooTools version almost guarantees that you break something, they can't coexist. I haven't seen a Joomla 2.5 extension that loads their own MooTools version.

• KonstantinosKonstantinos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Typical paradigm of mootools problem:
        1)mootools loads 1 time due to template design
        2)loads 2 -3 other times due to modules - components
        3)All this with different mootools versions in each time
        Result: all hell breaks loose.
        Mootools is old, and getting to know something else is not a bad thing. Joomla should deal with this problem and coders should implement in new frameworks, or at least warn that their products play only in one of those two, or conflicts badly when these two frameworks meet in the same site. Mootools is the reason we read "Sorry our product is working fine, but something else in your site bothers it, so go figure it yourself." in support forums, which is most anoying.

• damidami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just let people decide which one to use and everyone will be happy.

• TWDesignTWDesign commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I refuse to learn another javascript framework.
        jQuery is taking over the web and thats all I need to know.
        WordPress, Drupal, PrestaShop and most other up-trending
        open source projects are jQuery based.

• 'Carlos Devia'Carlos Devia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The trends, the news, the usage are good indicators.

In Github:
        https://github.com/search?type=Everything&language=&q=jquery&repo=&langOverride=&x=0&y=0&start_value=1

Jquery (10043) Repositories

https://github.com/search?type=Everything&language=&q=mootools&repo=&langOverride=&x=0&y=0&start_value=1

Mootools (1041) Repositories

1000% more repositories, developers, plugins, etc.

Mootools was good at the time it was selected, but we have to accept Jquery is becoming the default library.

• nibranibra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That chart shows the *search volume*, not quality or usage or fitness. It could as well be used as a proof for better documentation of MooTools - one does not need a search engine to find information. So the chart does not tell us anything meaningful.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base