What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

JCE should be part of the core.

Joomla Content Editor should be part of the core. TinyMCE is too feature poor of an editor and the media manager capabilites are much better than the existing one in Joomla core.

1,573 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bill BorqueBill Borque shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    episode27episode27 shared a merged idea: Tiny-MCE Editor need to be modify as JCE Editor  ·   · 

51 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why doing something like this?
        tinymce is a good choice for Joomla.
        Some of the features are easy to implement.
        So tinymce is like joomla itself. If you want specifics features, do it yourself....
        And this is the lighter one.

Jce is full of unused parameters and some of them are proprietay plugins.... no way for me.

• TBKTBK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that Joomla should replace TinyMCE with another editor, but choosing a specific 3rd-party extension creators implementation (who does not want to contribute it to the CMS core project) is just plain wrong.

JCE builds on http://ckeditor.com/, but I think it is just one of many great WYSIWYGs.

I think a list should be compiled of possible replacement and then the J! Mag could run a vote for a month or two, the editor getting most votes will be implemented.

A demo page with the editors could be created so people can test them before voting.

Here is a short list of WYSIWYGs: TinyMCE, Aloha Editor, CKeditor, Maqetta, elRTE, NicEdit, Redactor-js, TinyEditor, WYSIHTML5, CLEditor, bootstrap-wysihtml5, SnapEditor, Raptor Editor, Mercury Editor...

There is also TeamLab Document Editor which is one of the few that are a near copy of a full-fledged desktop editor.

Another option is to use the one the browser has build-in - http://www.barneyparker.com/world-simplest-html5-wysisyg-inline-editor/

• Aaron TilyAaron Tily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

JCE would be a perfect content editor for Joomla. It's quite easy to install but having it by default would save alot of hassle. Plus the basic editor is very horrible and shouldn't exist IMO.

• JorisJoris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer JCK over JCE.
        So the editor in core is not neccecary for me :-)
        Now you can choose and the JCK if faster than me compatible with the new versions so i have no problems with downloading it.

If you like JCK or JCE is just a taste i think. Both are good and i mostly like the icons much better and just know the workflow and possibilities in JCK so i like it.

I think JCE can do more as default but they give more options and that is for my users not always good.

• boniadityaboniaditya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer JCK Editor to JCE. I want it to be in the core, and i don't see why a specific editor has to be in the core. I don't see any compatibility issues, in fact i have over four editors in my site tinymce, jce , jck and rokcandy . All of them work perfectly. I think if you have to include an editor in the core, then you would be doing others injustice i would want all the editors in the core and the provide the user the choice to choose one according to his needs and preferences! I repeat, if they are not causing any compatibility issues then you should let them free and not attach them to the core, you attach something to the core only when it is making the rest of the site incompatible for every other extensions because you are using this extension and editors are cool with almost all the extensions on the JED, i think it should be all the editors or none if you have to include them in the core but again in retrospect that is my humble biased opinion.

The more unfortunate scenario is that of not having compatibility with tons of editors on the planet while durpal typo3 and every other cms in the world is ahead in providing it.
        For example the hallo and aloha editors
        http://createjs.org/
        They can edit the website directly without even having to click on edit and they work like magic . Unfortunately they are not for joomla.
        i have posted the idea over here
        http://ideas.joomla.org/forums/84261-joomla-idea-pool/suggestions/3610147-project-midgard-integration-edit-the-webpage-dir

To sum it up i wish for every editor to be working joomla and it need not be in the core as long as it is working well with other components and the site as a whole

• Michael ReiterMichael Reiter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The file upload funtionality of the editor is a MUST. Wordpress and Drupal are superior to Joomla for this reason. This functionality must be part of the core because each time you change the joomla version you cannot wait the equivalent editor version comes out or you cannot change again and again the editor for some months because it has a security flaw.
        JCE is the best editor at his moment, but JoomlaCK could be an alternative.

• Nathan ToddNathan Todd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Considering I install JCE on EVERY site I make, it's definitely a good idea! It should be the default editor (could have a very basic profile by default so as not to confuse users)

• Edwin BlomEdwin Blom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The discussion should not be about wether JCE should be part of the core but that joomla needs a better editor, like JCE. That clears the discussion a lot.

• WinchesterWinchester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding JCE to the Joomla core does not take away "choice". It just gives everyone the best to work with from the get go. Like almost everything in Joomla, these is always a personal choice to change them. But it doesn't mean they should bother to offer the best or rather the preferred.

• Daniel C K TanDaniel C K Tan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

JCE is a very well developed editor plugin. Personally, I feel that users should have a choice in the type of editors they prefer to work with and that the default editor could be uninstalled where needed.

• WinchesterWinchester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

JCE was released under a GPL 2 and above license. If Joomla or any other wants to use it in their core, then this license give them permission to do so. Of course it is polite to ask first, but it is not required under that license. Even if the developer says no.

So, we can still vote on this. At least until Joomla says, "no".

• Keith MountifieldKeith Mountifield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Gavin has noted, Ryan, the developer of JCE has stated that he does not want it to be part of the core. so any votes for this are wasted.

What makes Joomla such a great platform is that there are so many highly talented developer creating extensions. We should respect their decision to keep their work as an extension.

I don't care that Joomla's core WYSIWYG editor is cr4p. JCE is the first extension I install on a new site. It take about 15 minutes to install, register for updates, set up every additional extension for JCE. Time well spent.

I would also suggest that anyone using JCE on a commercial site go to the web site and pay for a subscription, if you don't already...

• Edwin BlomEdwin Blom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't care that it only takes a minute to install.
        The standard joomla editor has not improved since Joomla 1.0
        I can't think of a good reason for this so it's a point for duscussion, this seems to be a good place for this.

• Gavin ColeGavin Cole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ryan has already said no, so save your votes for other ideas.

I like choice to install alternative editors even though JCE is the clearly the best of the bunch. Besides it's 1 minute task to install.

• CarlosCarlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to have the best editor in the core. But I think that's just a dream.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base