What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

One URL per content (phase out ItemId)

Urls should be created from content, not menu items. The menu manager should merely create aliases to articles and components, lists excepted. Instead of Item(menu)ID, modules should be assigned to lists, articles, categories, components, etc. Advantages: will shave a layer of complexity from Joomla, eliminate duplicate content and allow for cleaner URLs. The only minor disadvantage that comes to mind is same article can't have 2 or more links and module assignments.

126 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JasonJason shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DarekDarek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in one category should be only one article with unique name. the article name for sef and user SHOULD BE UNIQUE, so there is no sense to use id in url.
        After click Save article, joomla should check if in database exists article with the same alias in choosen category and if exists don't save article with popup error or someting else. The same with id in categories.

Please change it by design.

• TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What should happen if an article is linked to more than one menu item? how would the url know which menu item it should use, the menu items would probably be in completely different parts of the site with different modules published on them. This is already a problem in Category Blog Layout. Try creating two Category blog layout menu items to the same category in different places on a site. Your article titles in in both menu items all go to one or the other but not to the assigned menu item.

• BillBill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Itemid is killing one of my websites - I NEED to get rid of it.

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An native option in Joomla to remove the ID (article, category, etc.) from the URL without needing an extension that may end up not being updated.

• dalservedalserve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe there is not an option to remove the id from my friendly URLs in Joomla version 1.6. It's so not friendly and it's got to go.

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Webmuse, I agree that there needs to be control over the url in all cases and wasn't suggesting otherwise. As a way to create links for lists (e.g. category blog view or list view), I would suggest taking the alias from the category and the you'd have www.acme.com/category/article like you always do. Originally I suggested lists could be excepted, but I think that was wrong. I don't see a good reason articles should be associated with a menu item, or a good reason why the system takes such care so an article can have more than one possible link to it.

I know about the hidden menu trick but it doesn't fix the problem I described. What if you want to assign modules (or exempt them) from certain pages of the component? You can't (at least without some tricky php in your template). Also, you can't assign (or unassign) a module to a category because everything is governed by itemID. Sure you can assign to the individual articles in the cat, but then you're going to make your content manager have to remember to do that when they add something? What about user generated content?? Fuggetaboutit.

Nonumber's Advanced Module Manager comes a long way to fix the module assigning aspects of ItemId. But that leaves the numbers in the url, all the duplicate content Joomla generates, plus you wind up with some very bad links sometimes from 3rd party extensions (tagging, etc.) because it's complicated to write a proper router. Many times the bad/ugly links are what wind up in the search engines. Negative SEO at worst, not professional at best.

I believe itemID is the #1 fundamental problem that stands in the way of Joomla being more user and SEO friendly, and also why a lot of people get frustrated with Joomla and give up on it. If more people knew itemid was behind their frustrations, there would be more talk about it. Many of the feature requests I see here (like remove numbers from url, etc.) are the result of itemId.

• WebMuseWebMuse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jason - If the url is created only from content, then will the url be the combined concatenated names for each article in the blog? this seems like it could generate an unreasonably long url.

I agree for an article link, but for a blog menu link it would be better if we could input a specific url text to be used.

To solve your issue with the shopping cart checkout, I created a new menu that is assigned to a non-existent position. I then created a link to just the shopping cart. Then, in each module definition, I have to select "Only on selected pages" and omit this menu.

A bit kluge, but functional. The important thing is to have all menu links you think you might want to use before you start going into the modules. Put those you are unsure about into a special "future" menu, so they can stay published and show in the module list of pages. Otherwise you are editing every module every time you add a new menu link. This is the real issue!!!

• Jason87Jason87 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

itemid is horrible and pointless, I would agree there should be a better way of doing this

• ToddTodd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be another useful step in the wider acceptance of J1.6

• BraveheartBraveheart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe there is not an option to remove the id from my friendly URLs in Joomla version 1.6. It's so not friendly and it's got to go.

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Emphyrio, I am not suggesting that menu items and articles should be treated as one (like the main menu in Wordpress before ver. 3). They should be kept separate for flexibility and the menu manager is still needed. But Joomla should create urls from the article, or individual pages in a component, not the menu. Then modules should be assigned to urls or categories. Right now "page awareness" in Joomla is based on ItemID. But what if for example you want your shopping cart checkout to take up the full width of you site? Right now there is no easy way to turn off certain modules on specific pages that don't have their own menu item. You can turn them off on say your "shop" link, but then you'd be turning them off on every page of the shop and not just the checkout.

• fkrahefkrahe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AGREED. I'm trying to use SEF but it's just ridiculous to find that, in the end, the aliases get stuffed whith their own ID! It's awfull and must be gone soon.

• KaXaSAKaXaSA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

/Signed this is really necessary.. I hate to create new item menus for every article... just because of the 'ID' number...

• EmphyrioEmphyrio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. The difference between itemID and articleID is almost impossible to explain to users and administrators. The simple fact that when you delete an article, you also have to delete the corresponding menu item often leads to mistakes. Also, some settings have to be configured at the menu item, while others have to be configured at the extension's settings page. Again, it's hard to understand for a regular user why there is this difference. So I'd encourage phasing out the ItemID.

Feedback and Knowledge Base