What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

Full multi language support

The possibility to translate everything (articles, menus, modules etc.) into different languages without the need of a 3rd party component.

1,310 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

35 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • infograf768infograf768 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have some ideas to improve langswitcher/languagefilter multilanguage functionalities in 1.7 and will propose them in a specific branch.
        The target is not though to replace specific multilanguage extensions like Joomfish

• bizgobizgo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Joomla! 1.6 has got some... but stupidly enough... one page needs to be "all languages" Why...?
        Also an easy way to associate content would be nice...

• Stefan | dpdkStefan | dpdk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At this moment, Joom!Fish is the best we have.
        You can't say it doesn't do the job right, unless you have something better to propose.

They've done their best in order to make the translation input as flexible for the end-user as they probably can.
        I think you can't make this component more user friendly, unless you perform core hacks. This has nothing to do with Joom!Fish, but with the flexibility of the Joomla! core code base.

(Since we are not able to extend/override core- or extension-functions in Joomla!, we just can't make the system any more flexible than it is providing us.)

What about defining this broad concept of "translate everything" and "without the need of a 3rd party component".

In my opinion it should be devided into "Core translations" and "Content translations".

--

Core translations would be:
        All the "fixed" interface copy within: Joomla Core, Components, Modules, Plugins and Templates.

Content translations would be:
        Articles*, Menu's, All sorts of textual input from Joomla Core / Components- Modules / Plugins / Templates.
        As for Articles, this also concerns all component items/records - like now they would have to make their own (Joomfish) translation plugin.

--

Joomla should provide the part of "Core translations", like they've build for Drupal 7 - http://bxl2011.drupaldays.org/node/282
        (TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT THIS PRESENTATION, JOOMLA WILL LOVE THIS!!)
        This will be a huge time saver for the global Joomla community!

For "Content translations", a 3rd party component like Joomfish would still be required for at least the next major release.
        Because - in compare to Drupal - Joomla does provide also a Native Text class (JText), but Drupal's localization uses this to scan scan the whole site and index it, for further use into any type of translation or copy-correction through a GUI.

• effriteffrit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1.6 built-in languages support is nice for standart small/medium sites as is.
        i think what make a "linked" articles is much easy than use joomfish.
        one extra table in database solve the problem.
        even if current languages support is worse that joomfish its not a big deal for future. and in future i want see extension in JED that have native languages support.

@pat01; Correction: the J1.6 core supports limited support to multi language.

Yes, you can make a seperate article for a specific language.

No, this article can't be related to another article translation, what so ever. Without this relationship, in essence, J1.6 just has no multi language support.

For multi language support, Joomla! still depends on a translation component like JoomFish.

• BunthanBunthan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add me too. Yes, if it is has its own database and its own component language editor.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK, great. Thank you for the hint. Obviously I did overlook, that J!1.6 will support multi language. And yes, I meant to translate the content manually. :-)

• James DurrantJames Durrant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you're idea is to manualy translate content, then J1.6 will have this feature.

What's new in Joomla 1.6
        http://vimeo.com/12814712

http://www.yireo.com/blog/general-news/392-multilingual-options-in-joomla-16

Automatic translation may never be supported in the Joomla core. It is bad for SEO, see this link.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/thread?tid=4914c00f61424cdf&hl=en#fid_4914c00f61424cdf00048f10d9d09f8a

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very many websites are international. The translation of all contents should be a core feature.

← Previous 1 2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base