What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

JQuery Support

JQuery and MooTools work integrated without conflict

127 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    BoraBora shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • WaltWalt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like we are finally getting just jquery and removing old mootools as of J!3.3.
        Extension developers who still want to use mootools should make sure that they don't cause conflicts and integrate well with the core jquery when they load mootools.
        Like Michael said, MT and JQ core would need to be modified to truly "work integrated without conflict" If that's your real desire, you should go talk to JQ and MT to get your request fulfilled.

• Michael HargreavesMichael Hargreaves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jason: I agree with all your points except for the best way to move forward.

IMO The best option is to write core JS in Javascript without a library dependency. Then you're not limited by a dependecy that's shipped with Joomla!, though this approach could bloat some core scripts, core scripts should be pretty light on anyway so they're easy to extend and ultimately dont restrict what or how you work with Joomla!.

If that approach to core scripts is taken then we're free to do what we want with any lib.

Re: MooTools and JQuery working together without noConflict. Thats a strange request as technically it couldn't happen without change to either MT or jQ core so thats not going to ever happen.

Though I'm at a loss to understand why you would choose to include two libs on a page other than being forced to do so?

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jayb, you're right that it's possible to use jquery now. But hardly anyone uses mootools these days except some 3rd party extension makers. The larger design and dev community has long ago embraced and made jquery THE javascript framework. Joomla needs to stop being stubborn and get with it on this (and well a lot of other things too...). Jquery should be made default for the following reasons:

#1 Performance. Mootools and jquery together have a lot of overhead. Yes it is technically possible to turn mootools off in the front end, but see #2.

#2 3rd parties. Many 3rd parties embraced mootools awhile back when Joomla chose to include it and before jquery became big. But many (if not most) have moved on to jquery... The result is that many different versions of mootools/jquery are included when you install multiple extensions. Embracing the latest version of jquery and encouraging its use will eventually solve this.

#3 easier for newbies to Joomla to get started. As mentioned already, I doubt even 1 in 20 site builders will use mootools.

IMO the best option for now would be to give the option of jquery or mootools on the front end, but default on jquery. Then Joomla will have taken one more small step forward from it's arcane ways ;)

• Chris WilliamsChris Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is always a problem - but it's also fault of the extension developers for not designing in a choice of Mootools or JQuery. Provide JQuery and Mootools out of the box and this will help, and also help educate devs

Feedback and Knowledge Base