What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

Resizing of images

The possibility to set the size of images that is uploaded to the site. Not all the users has the knowledge needed to reduce size of images before uploading them. If this could be done automatic it would be greate! Admin sets the parameters and all the images are sized the way admin wants!

449 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    teoballteoball shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • waarnemerwaarnemer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok.. here it goes. Image optimization is very good. However it can become overrated too.

A tool like Easy Image Resizer" does not only optimize on upload but also optimization tricks to an image you call into your article. Soon as you set width and height during article edit, it creates a new one optimized for your article. Which is nice but when you use an image more that one time in your site it means it recreates a new image on each use.. As a visitor I have to download each single image to view it.. My browser cannot use a cached version of it. When you re use your images a lot, reuse in overview pages, blogs, slideshows, in the end it does not improve performance.

The resize on upload I like very much though.. I actually would love to have plugin which I can set to a folder.. banners have 100x800, article images 200x200 and on....

An admin can then choose a "biggest" to suit all his needs for use and reuse... and have images cached to improve the experience...

It would be great to be able to choose...

• maxelcatmaxelcat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is one area where wordpress is better than joomla (one of the few!)

Most of my clients aren't really able to resize images so it would be really useful to be able to set default resizing for images in various positions - eg in a category blog would be different to default article, or module.

• SimSim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something is very, very important to have in joomla core, not k2 or something, for example, for the wordpress pages i can setup image size in code, and something should be at joomla also possible, also more images... image engine is very, very important...

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RESIZE on upload, add DESCRIPTION, create GALLERY.

This has to be part of Joomla, out of the box!

• David O'SullivanDavid O'Sullivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been working on something similar to this myself - for ZOO. Users really do not generally have any clue about resizing images. Personally I find that generally there are a few different image sizes that are needed and in fact the terms 'small' 'medium' 'large' dont help the user understand very much why these are needed- until they start complaining about how bits of the image are cropped off or the image is distorted- depending how you make the template out put handle images.

I find that generally these different sizes are needed for an 'Article Image' which is why Joomla could do with a CCK. Generally you have a 'List Size' a 'Blog Size' and a 'Full Size' but there may be others. My vision for this is that the admin sets up a 'Max Size' which preserves aspect ratio but just scales the image down so that when the user uploads a 5mb file from their camera, this compressed down to the Max Size and gets saved as the 'Original'- then the image is scaled/cropped according to parameters set up by the admin and these are shown in tabs. The crop for this is guessed originally, but is editable by the user- so if the guessed version cuts off someones head or crops out part of a logo the image can be rescaled to fit in the box- or reorientated or whatever. These crop choices get saved and the resulting image cached with the latest cached version being pulled on output/or a new version created on first load in the crop params are newer than the last cached image.

I have been doing alot of work on this for ZOO, but am not quite there yet ;) The most tricky thing is allowing the user to scale down an image so it all fits in- so say you have a wide logo in a square box, the user will generally want to scale that image down so that it is smaller than the box so the logo does not get cut off. This is tricky and it looks like its only going to be possible using HTML5 canvass.

However I feel this interface should be used for all image uploads, including in the Media Manager and inline images with the user having the option to choose which version to insert.

• Suvi ThammasarnSuvi Thammasarn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just following on from Erlend Mongstad's comments.

I've written an Admin component that does exactly what he discribed. Turns out a lot of our clients do not know how to crop/resize and image. So I wrote a component to do it for them automatically.

It works just like the Facebook profile image crop tool. It uses any image stored in the /images/stories/ folder as a base, and allows the user to crop an image to the correct size. Each image can be defined for each component (ie, Banners is defined 120px x 120px, and Contacts is defined 100px x 260px) but it uses the same function overall.

The resulting generated thumbnail is then stored in an image cache (/images/stories/thumbnail/) so that it can be reused in the component field again (this saves having to recrop the same image exactly), and it also allows the user to embed it into any article in the site.

Not commercially available yet, but am interested in seeing whether people are interested in it. I've built it in J!1.5 and J!1.6 if anyone is interested.

• Birger LehnerBirger Lehner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Uploading image and have opportunity to manipulate size of image e.g. on article site or intro of article would be very nice...within jomsocial you can set your frame to determine what part of image will be used as preview...you can go with phoca right now, but I think this should be part of core because most customers don't know how to resize images. Phoca could still be used to expand site using galeries...but simple image manipulation should be core in order to have more opportunities with articles...

• Erlend MongstadErlend Mongstad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think its better to have a cache-system that, when you insert an image in an article, based on its width/height inside the article, Joomla creates an imagename_300x200.jpg in its cache-folder. Then you dont need to make different sizes for each picture inserted. And if you need to replace some images, its only to delete the cache-folder (from backend)...

But of course, resizing in the core components would be nice!

• jeroenjeroen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really needed because most of the clients don't know how to resize images.

Feedback and Knowledge Base