What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

Rapid Development Tool For Joomla

We need a rapid development tool for joomla like in cakephp and zend frameworks do. Joomla has a good framework. A joomla rapid development tool will make developers to develop their controllers, model and views. This will change joomla from cms to a great web development framework.

166 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Amila Udana KalingaAmila Udana Kalinga shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adnan KurtovicAdnan Kurtovic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A FOF maybe - http://www.ohloh.net/p/joomla-fof

"It is an extension to the Joomla! Framework which allows rapid application development. It promotes convention-over-configuration to allow developers to focus on writing their business logic using the DRY principle for faster turnaround and less bugs. Unlike other solutions, it focuses on a small footprint and backwards compatibility."

There is ongoing discussion here should it be included in core or not - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/joomla-dev-general/BB-5eLwMdw4

• MikeFromHCMikeFromHC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Artisteer is a step in the right direction.
        A standalone version of firebug that let you update .css after you were happy would be a big help.
        Getting a system that told me my design ideas were ugly would also be nice.

• Node-0Node-0 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What we need are a simpler and more forward looking (AJAX, Canvas, JS Acrobatics Friendly) set of API usage examples.

<rant>
        Currently, it takes a massive effort for non "old school" programmers, non "classically trained" programmers or programmers who have not bought into the particularly idiosyncratic Joomla API and framework rules, to create useful and value-rich extensions. Joomla's framework can be used to make awesome things, but only if you become a heretic coder and go "rogue"</rant>

I do not mean to slight the awesome work by the developers who have brought us Joomla, Andrew Eddie and Louis Landry have done great things with the core.

My intent is to highlight the fact that, new developers avoid the Joomla API docs like a case of small pox... They stay away. This must change.

I also feel that the params scheme needs to step into Web 2.0 with a more robust state-management scheme.

I'll be trying to implement something practical in what small way I can using the Nexus interface and core classes in order to abstract the complexity of state-management and simple logic-based decision making.

It may be that what we need isn't an API overhaul, but an abstraction layer, whereby run of the mill operations can be performed without needing to create a Joomla extension. Perhaps a macro-language, or a plain-language Joomla automation console (command line) complete with a scripting language of it's own, perhaps a dialect of XML adapted with conditional structures with simple nouns and verbs.

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No more comments?

I think this is a very interesting idea to be developed in the near future and many developers will find a nice tool to use on their everyday work.

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I miss a rapid development tool for Joomla. I would like to be able to build views and models visually as we do in Visual Studio for example.
        I work nearly every day with Joomla and a tool like that will make my job much more simply.

Feedback and Knowledge Base