What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

Hooks and Filters like WordPress

Being able to modify core functionality without hacking the core is the most useful thing about WordPress. Drupal and many others have already jumped on board and began to incorporate these features. Joomla! needs to provide it's developers with a hook and filter system to allow app builders the ability to customize. Otherwise Joomla!'s just a brick.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathon ByrdJonathon Byrd shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • nptirannptiran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Conflict of hooks is very important ! and joomla way perhaps is more moral method if prevent from conflict.

• carsten888carsten888 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I use dynamic overwriting of core files just to get things done in Joomla when there are no eventhandlers or webhooks. Problems arise when there are other plugins installed on a site doing the same thing. (example: the various extensions that try to hide modules by overwriting the modulehelper class). Huge problems with conflicts which are impossible to debug for site-developers. So events and webhooks are definately the way forward. Joomla is way behind on this one, so time to catch up.

• stutteringp0etstutteringp0et commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There isn't anything in Joomla that can't be overridden. As a developer, I guarantee it!

What do you want to override? That might be a good extension for me to write.

Feedback and Knowledge Base