What features would you like to see in future versions of Joomla?

Manage and creation of user profile fields

Option to easily add new user fields to user profile and manage user profile fields, something similar to the following image http://www.protechsystems.us/stuff/joomla/userfields_management.png

I will sponsor this feature up to $500, only if approved to be added to the core.

412 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    aravotaravot shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • .au.au commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use jomsocial so as to get this functionality and JSPT from joomlaxi and I can do what you suggest but I also get conflicts of javascript by using alternative profile. at present I cannot use firefox the tinymce text editor wont view.

• Nathan ToddNathan Todd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could be part of the avatar idea too. User profiles are sorely lacking in Joomla - fix it!!

• stutteringp0etstutteringp0et commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not interested in the sponsorship, but I have a project that is in alpha/proof of concept phase called Profiler - it's available on my site for those interested enough to check out the code.

I wouldn't recommend production use!

Mostly, I'm interested in hearing from other developers who are interested in helping.

http://www.richeyweb.com - search for Profiler

• GorgonzGorgonz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you are right, aravot. Though I had in mind, that the current situation just needs it to extend or change an xml file, rather then to write any code or module ;-)

• aravotaravot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Gorgonz, if you check the URL I am referring to easy management of user fields.

• GorgonzGorgonz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hmm, could it be that your idea is already implemented and ready to run ;-)

There are new native plugins now, that handle "extra datas"

just activate Extensions => Plugins => User Profile and see ... :-)

• Mark YaleMark Yale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i like this as well... although i do like community builder i want to find features for my joomla sites that dont cost much (look at their subscription prices) most people cant afford it... free is good with a donation, anyways. i need the ability to add tabs and fields within a profile setting (LIKE COMMUNITY BUILDER) why captcha has NOT Been added to the Core already i dont know these days it should have been. i like adjusting joomla to the site purpose i need not be forced with a select group of profile feilds... overall joomla is great (Thanks guys) and a better article comment system jcomments is gone not integrated

• orglubeorglube commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As far as I know, this is done by community builder.

Why not integrate community as the core replacement for user management ?

• Ken McNamaraKen McNamara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found a great tutorial that showed how to do this on YouTube only to discover that Joomla! 1.7 had rendered the process completely indecipherable and complicated. Seriously What the Hell!?!?! Isn't Joomla supposed to be the easy to use solution for the masses?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Be nice if they had a way to edit or add fields within the Plugin or Module. Still trying to figure out a way to add a link within the registration page to link to a Terms and Agreement Article

• carlymymancarlymyman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent thinking. It is such a disappointment that it is so difficult to add new fields to the reg form. (At least for those of us who aren't that schooled in php and databases etc.)

• spiel2001spiel2001 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes... and a way to authenticate fields (make sure to fields match, apply a regex to the field to ensure the input is properly formatted, etc)

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. Can't believe it's not part of it already.

Ideally it would be simple to select the type of field, i.e. dop box, radio button, enable validation etc.

Also to allow admins to place them on the Registration page where required. Nothing worse then a ca[tcha half way down the registration page.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. Can't believe it's not part of it already.

Ideally it would be simple to select the type of field, i.e. dop box, radio button, enable validation etc.

Also to allow admins to place them on the Registration page where required. Nothing worse then a ca[tcha half way down the registration page.

Feedback and Knowledge Base